Wednesday 3 December 2014

FACE TO FACE WITH LERE ~ OLAYINKA

Lere Olayinka, the Special Assitant to Governor of Ekiti State of Nigeria Opens Up Lere Olayinka is a journalist and politician who shoots straight no matter whose ox is gored. He is the Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media to the Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose. Personal branding is a leadership requirement; how far would you go in branding yourself for the success of your career and development as a leader? I am not a formal person. I am also not a protocol person. I do things as my spirit leads me. However, I love to be seen in the picture of a problem solver, someone who is accessible to everyone, answers all phone calls and respond to all text messages. To achieve this, I can go to any length and I do not mind any inconveniences. We know that you are a successful man; What's success to you and how do you go about it? I do not see myself as a successful man yet. I am still struggling, striving to put my name on the lips of the entire people of the world. Nevertheless, I see success as a relative term, just the way I see wealth. Tell us about a project or accomplishment that you consider to be the most significant to you? The recent one is getting the immediate past governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi out of office and its eventual accomplishment. From the very day Fayemi assumed office, I knew he was not the desire of God for Ekiti State and I set out to confront the government. Two weeks after Fayemi became governor, I wrote an article titled; “Ekiti: Between men and God” which I ended thus; “In Ekiti, the reality is that men have passed their own judgment, which implies that all that is needed to win an election through the judiciary is for a loser to destroy electoral materials by whatever means, including setting INEC office ablaze. The beneficiaries of the judgment have not stopped giving glory to the man, who made it possible. But there is yet one other judgment that will come soon, which is that of God. When it does, no one, except Himself will take the glory.” On this project, I faced death! I was brutalised, arrested, charged to court for sedition and detained for days. If you were given a contract, loved everything about it, and are paid what you asked for; what kind of offer from another institution would make you change your mind? If I get another offer that will be more beneficial to the people around me, I will change my mind on any other offer no matter how mouth watery. Looking back into your journey and what you have achieved so far; who and what inspired you? I am an independent minded person and a realist. I do not live my life waiting for miracles to happen because I do not believe anyone can get to eat say Eba without having to get Gaari and boil water. My journey of life has not been easy, because of my background but I have refused to be defeated by hereditary poverty and failure. For instance, I left secondary school at less than 14 years but instead of going further with my education, I went into shoemaking for six years. For six years, I was an apprentice shoemaker and a shoemaker. I later worked for four years as an office messenger before going to school. All along, I have been inspired by the desire to achieve results and make my mark despite being born without spoon in my mouth. If we're sitting here a year from today rejoicing what a year it's been for you in your role as Special Assistant to the Governor of Ekiti State on Media; What would you say you have achieved with your team? I want to be seen as a bridge between the government and the governed. The one through whom the public gets to hear the truth, nothing but the truth about the government. And most importantly, I love to see myself as a changer of the public perception of the government. Which animal would you compare yourself with? I am not a lover of animal but I like the attitude and character of dog. Dog does not betray its benefactors. That is why the Yorubas say “aja o kii gbagbe oloore.” Dog is also a wise animal. It protects its own children and benefactors against external aggression. Do you easily get worried with any negative comment about you or your institution? I don’t get worried about those negative comments. In fact, they encourage me to fire on because when you hit the desired target as a political communicator, your must be abused. I have been called names, even my parents were not spared, but I am not deterred. It is part of game and I have played the game long enough to know this. You have been impacting your community, your voice has been heard in so many platforms; please tell us what you have done so far and what are your plans for the future? Unfortunately, apart from championing the cause of the people through my job as a journalist, I am yet to see myself as having done much for my community. What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last before you sleep? Like I said earlier, I am not a protocol person. I do things as they come and what I do today might not be what I do tomorrow. But in most days, the first thing I do when I wake up is to check my phones. What calms you down when you are stressed? I hardly get stressed because I work 24 hours and do things at my own pace. For few readers that don’t know you, what would you like them to know about you and to always remember you for? Lere Olayinka is a kind of man you get to meet on the streets. He is a free minded person. He is a lover of peace and hater of oppression. Lere Olayinka is someone who says his mind without minding whose ox is gored. He hates sycophancy and bootlicking and love to be seen in his own mirror.

No comments: